Winning the Joe Bell Trophy for services to the fruitgrowing industry came as a complete surprise for EIT lecturer Brian Calcinai.
Brian said he was honoured to receive the award from his peers.
His long list of services to the industry include
- executive member and secretary/treasurer of the HB Fruitgrowers Association
- chairman of the kiwifruit sector
- director of New Zealand Fruitgrowers Federation
- a trustee of New Zealand Fruitgrowers Charitable Trust
- a representative on Kiwifruit Growers Incorporated Hawke’s Bay
- grower representative on Kiwifruit New Zealand Board and
- a trustee on New Zealand Agrichemical Education Trust.
Much of his work has involved resource management issues.
Brian teaches horticulture, particularly environmental issues involving the use of agrichemicals. As a GROWSAFE trainer since 1992, works with growers and farmers, rural supply and chemical company staff.
Congratulations Brian on your well deserved award.